Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Good with roasted chicken or turkey!
- 10 cups pitted sweet cherries (about 7 pounds)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1⁄4 cups white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- Add all ingredients except raisins in a large stainless or enamel pot.
- Bring to a full rolling boil stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat a bit to a gentle boil, stirring frequently until mixture thickens, about 60 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and boil for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
Have used the recipe twice, once as described, using sour cherries entirely. Will be a great condiment for fowl. The second I substitued fresh and dried ground ginger for the allspice. Equally good and distinctive.
Easy to make and taste wonderful