Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from a recipe at Tasting Table's February menu. You can substitute berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or a mixture) or pears for the cherries.
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup frozen sweet cherries
- Preheat the oven to 400º. In a baking dish, arrange the almonds in an even layer. Bake until they are golden brown, about 7 minutes, and set aside.
- Coat an 8-inch porcelain baking dish or pie plate with the 1 1/2 tablespoons of softened butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, egg, vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and whisk until blended. Add the flour and whisk again until just combined.
- Scatter the cherries evenly over the bottom of the buttered baking dish and top with half of the toasted almonds. Pour the batter over the cherries and almonds and top with the remaining almonds. Bake until the clafouti is browned, puffed and just pulling away from the sides of the pan, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and cook until the top is caramelized, about 10 more minutes. Cool in the baking dish for 10 minutes. Serve warm from the dish with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.