1/1 Photo of Sweet Challah Bread
24 hrs 30 mins
I started out loving challah bread when I bought a loaf for a bread pudding recipe, and when I tasted the bread while I was slicing it...I fell in love. Since I LOVE to bake I had to make my own challah bread, and I did, and I loved, and here it is. Thank you for trying it! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Sponge
For The Bread
- 1In a large mixing bowl, stir together the water, honey and yeast.
- 2Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in 1 cup bread flour, and cover with a towel.
- 4let stand for 30 minutes.
- 5Stir in the olive oil, whole egg, and egg yolks until very well mixed.
- 6Add the salt, sugar, and the rest of the flour.
- 7You should have a sticky dough Pour dough out onto a well floured surface and knead, adding flour as you need it, for 10 minutes.
- 8Place dough in a large greased mixing bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- 9Place dough in the refrigerater and let rise over night or at least 6 hours.
- 10Turn dough out on a corn mealed surface and cut it into two proportional pieces.
- 11Cut and braid the two dough balls, place in two loaf pans or form the Jewish circle with them.
- 12Let dough rise for 1 hour and preheat your oven to 375F.
- 13Beat 1 egg with the tablespoon of water and brush the doughs with the egg wash TWICE.
- 14Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or cinnamon sugar, optional.
- 15Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, you may have to cover the breads with foil to stop them from browning to much after 15 or 20 minutes.
- 16Remove the breads from the oven and either place them in plastic bags to get a soft crust or place them on wire racks until cooled completely before storing for a crisp crust (I personally don't wait for either and just eat it right out of the oven).
- 17Serving Sugestions: Make grilled sandwiches with breads, baked beans, bread pudding, thick beef stew, olive oil with herbs and black pepper, good old fashion butter.
- 18**Ifyou would like a cheesey challah bread, just sprinkle on your favorite cheese in the last 2 minutes of baking ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Challah Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1599.3
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 506.8 mg
- Sodium 1402.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 271.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 102.3 g
- Protein 34.9 g