I developed this recipe as an alternative to the usual super-sweet buttercream. I use about half the sugar of Decorator Buttercream, half the shortening, some butter for its light color and smoothness and some margarine for its lower cost and body. If you whip this buttercream it will gain air and lighten in color, making it more cost-effective than traditional buttercream -- and much lighter in weight (critical when you're covering a 16" cake with an additional layer of fondant)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup softened margarine
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon clear butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon flavoring (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon raspberry flavoring (optional)
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (optional)
- 1Options: Use salt if using unsalted butter; use almond flavor to add richness; use lemon OR raspberry flavor to cut sweetness. Use meringue powder and/or cornstarch if cake is being displayed in hot weather.
- 2Mix shortening, butter, margarine and flavors together in electric mixer with paddle attachment (hand mixer is okay, too) until light and smooth.
- 3Add half the sugar and mix at medium speed until smooth and lump-free.
- 4Add remaining sugar (and cornstarch, salt and meringue powder, if using) and mix on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping sides at least once. Low speed can be used to reduce air bubbles for smoother icing, but yield will be less. A couple of teaspoons of milk may be added at this point if the icing seems too stiff.
- 5Use immediately to ice cake or pipe directions, or store at room temperature overnight. Decorated cake may be kept at room temp 48 hours. Icing may also be refrigerated up to 4 weeks or frozen up to 3 months -- thaw to room temperature and stir to use. Look for more recipes and decorating tips from Laurie Clarke at www.sweetcelebrations.us!
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Celebrations Buttercream (Less Sugar)
Serving Size: 1 (1595 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1087.0
- Calories from Fat 655
- Total Fat 72.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 323.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 111.1 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: