Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A 'different' seasonal dessert. This 'pudding' (as in the British definition) is delicious.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup crystallized ginger (optional)
Gingered Whipped Cream (2 cups)
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Butter a 6-cup ring mold well and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and shortening; add sugar, a little at a time, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and add lemon juice and zest.
- Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, salt and allspice.
- Stir into butter mixture.
- Stir in carrots and transfer to ring mold and cover with a buttered round of foil.
- Set into a baking pan, add enough hot water to come 2/3s of the way up mold and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 30 minutes more or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto platter.
- Serve warm with Gingered Whipped Cream.
- Gingered Whipped Cream: Beat all the ingredients together until cream holds soft peaks and transfer to a serving bowl.
This is so good, I reduced the brown sugar to only 3/4 cup and omitted the ginger, also I hand squeezed out the excess moisture in the carrots, my DH will enjoy this today, thanks Evelyn!...Kitten:)