Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of several recipes I found in The Victory Garden Cookbook that I don't want to loose. Great for brunch, smothered with maple syrup!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- oil or shortening (for deep frying)
- confectioners' sugar
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs.
- Add the sugar, followed by the milk and vanilla.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Heat oil over medium / high heat until hot.
- Drop the batter by heaping spoonfuls, turning the fritter to brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towel then dust with the confectioners' sugar.