Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally a sweet potato casserole, this recipe calls for carrots. I think it's wonderful - a nice change of pace from the usual way I serve carrots - and have received many compliments on it.
- 2 lbs medium carrots, cooked and mashed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 2⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- Combine the first six ingredients; place in a greased 1-1/2-quart baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in nuts and coconut.
- Sprinkle over carrot mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
I thought this was a 5 and hubby said a 4, one thing we did agree on was this would make the absolute most perfect topping to an apple crumble. My hubby also said he loved the carrot, but thought this with the topping was too much together. I think more my fault, than the recipe, as if I knew that it was going to turn out this way, would never have paired it with the steak I made. I can judge by the exceptional flavour it would be a major hit. If you paired this with the right main dish, it would go so well and my oh my what compliments you would get. I will definitely make this again but will pair with the appropriate main dish so it can be apreciated by all. The only thing I did differently was to do this in individual oven proof bowls so it looked pretty. Thanks Whatcha Cookin', Mom?