Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Because I grew up in two households, I learned to make cornbread two ways. One way, was to put it in a cast iron skillet- and this resulted in a firmer sort of cornbread. The other, was this cake like way that many people already know and love.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (I like Aunt Jemima's for this.)
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (I have also successfully used applesauce to replace the oil. It sweetens only just slightly but the )
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.