1/1 Photo of Sweet Butternut Squash With Apples
5 hrs 10 mins
A great mix of fall flavors and crockpot simple to boot! This makes a fabulous side dish for pork or chicken and the kids will love it. Feel free to sub vegan margarine for the butter and this turns into a great vegan dish!!! This is best served warm, not hot. The cranberries add an amazing tart dimension to this dish and make it quite festive. Perfect for Thanksgiving, as it can cook all morning in the crockpot. . .SO EASY! For those of you who have a Trader Joes, they sell precut butternut squash!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs butternut squash
- 4 apples
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple tidbits (canned)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (may use margarine)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1Cut squash in half and remove seeds, soft pulp, and fibers. Then peel the squash and place it cut side down on a cutting board. Cut in half length-wise and then cut into into 1/2-inch slices.
- 2Peel and core the apples; cut in 1/2-inch slices.
- 3Combine the cider, marmalade, melted butter, sugar, flour, salt and spice.
- 4Layer half of the butternut squash in the bottom of the crockpot; top with one half of the apple slices, one half of the pineapple and half of the sugar and spice mixture. Repeat layers.
- 5Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then switch to LOW and cook 4 hours longer, or until butternut squash is tender. Add in the cranberries, give it a stir, and turn off the crockpot to let it cool for about 45 minutes.
- 6Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and some chopped walnuts if you like.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Butternut Squash With Apples
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.9
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 411.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 35.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g