Recipe by JanuaryBride
A great mix of fall flavors and crockpot simple to boot! This makes a fabulous side dish for pork or chicken and the kids will love it. Feel free to sub vegan margarine for the butter and this turns into a great vegan dish!!! This is best served warm, not hot. The cranberries add an amazing tart dimension to this dish and make it quite festive. Perfect for Thanksgiving, as it can cook all morning in the crockpot. . .SO EASY! For those of you who have a Trader Joes, they sell precut butternut squash!
- 5 lbs butternut squash
- 4 apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple tidbits (canned)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (may use margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds, soft pulp, and fibers. Then peel the squash and place it cut side down on a cutting board. Cut in half length-wise and then cut into into 1/2-inch slices.
- Peel and core the apples; cut in 1/2-inch slices.
- Combine the cider, marmalade, melted butter, sugar, flour, salt and spice.
- Layer half of the butternut squash in the bottom of the crockpot; top with one half of the apple slices, one half of the pineapple and half of the sugar and spice mixture. Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then switch to LOW and cook 4 hours longer, or until butternut squash is tender. Add in the cranberries, give it a stir, and turn off the crockpot to let it cool for about 45 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and some chopped walnuts if you like.