Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A great mix of fall flavors and crockpot simple to boot! This makes a fabulous side dish for pork or chicken and the kids will love it. Feel free to sub vegan margarine for the butter and this turns into a great vegan dish!!! This is best served warm, not hot. The cranberries add an amazing tart dimension to this dish and make it quite festive. Perfect for Thanksgiving, as it can cook all morning in the crockpot. . .SO EASY! For those of you who have a Trader Joes, they sell precut butternut squash!
- 5 lbs butternut squash
- 4 apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple tidbits (canned)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (may use margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds, soft pulp, and fibers. Then peel the squash and place it cut side down on a cutting board. Cut in half length-wise and then cut into into 1/2-inch slices.
- Peel and core the apples; cut in 1/2-inch slices.
- Combine the cider, marmalade, melted butter, sugar, flour, salt and spice.
- Layer half of the butternut squash in the bottom of the crockpot; top with one half of the apple slices, one half of the pineapple and half of the sugar and spice mixture. Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then switch to LOW and cook 4 hours longer, or until butternut squash is tender. Add in the cranberries, give it a stir, and turn off the crockpot to let it cool for about 45 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and some chopped walnuts if you like.
My kitchens culinary editing used 1 small butternut squash (remove seeds and skin, boil 1/2" cubes stovetop for 10 minutes until slightly tender). Remove liquid, stir in (and frequently thereafter) 1/2 cup fat free half & half, 1/4 cup spenda brown sugar, and 1 pealed and 1/2" cubed apple, return to simmer 5 minutes. Peel and cut 1 red pear into 1/2" cubes, cut 1 large seedless orange into 1/2" wedges, 1/3 cup dried cranberries and 1/3 cup spiced rum. I added the (fully ripe) pear, orange, cranberries and rum at one time returned to simmer 1 to 2 minutes, remove and transfer to a bowl. Slap yo' Momma good. Capt'n Morgan will want to trade some rum for this recipe.
Very good and a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner. I used splenda and skipped and cranberries but otherwise made as directed for a very enjoyable dish. Thanks for sharing!
I made this for my DH's office Thanksgiving lunch because I figured everyone would be bringing mashed potatoes and green beans. We woke up this morning to the smell of apples, cinnamon and squash cooking away. I taste-tested it and it was delicious!! I hope he has leftovers tonight! It wasn't as sweet as I expected it to be, but that was a good thing! I added the cranberries and whole walnuts to the crock-pot this morning. I didn't try it with whipped cream, but I'm sure that would be delicious! Thanks for posting this. It was easy and tasty!