2 hrs 45 mins
One of the best-known commercially available British pickles is Branston Pickle, a spiced vegetable mixture. It's a great sandwich topper, goes well with French fries, and is very savory garnish for many dihes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 ounces carrots, cut into 3 mm cubes
- 1/4 medium swede, cut into 3 mm cubes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ounce dates, finely chopped
- 1/4 cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium unpeeled zucchini, finely chopped
- 4 sweet gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 ounces malt vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- caramel coloring (e.g. liquid browning, as required or desired. The commercial brand of this pickle is dark brown in c)
- 1Combine all the ingredients except the caramel colouring in a large saucepan.
- 2Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- 3Cook until the swede is cooked through but still firm, about 1½ to 2 hours.
- 4Add the caramel colouring until the colour is dark brown.
- 5Bottle and seal.
- 6The flavour will improve if the pickle is allowed to age for a few weeks before using.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Brown Pickle
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 247.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 0.7 g