Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I fell in love with broccoli salad a few years ago. My wife was given this recipe by a co-worker. Of course I don't know what recipe book it came from, but the copy states "from the kitchen of Jann Ellsworth store #967 Hudson, FL."
- 1 lb hormel black label bacon, cooked crisp and crumbed
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup hellman's mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- In large bowl toss together bacon, broccoli, raisins, onion and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Add mayonnaise mixture to broccoli mixture, stirring to coat. Cover and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
I've been dying to try making broccoli salad and finally got the chance after I went crazy and bought one of those huge price club bags of florets. After looking through a long list of potential recipes, I chose this one because it was the simplest. I only had 4 slices of bacon and didn't have any sunflower seeds, but I soldiered on and I have to say the blend of flavors is awesome. I highly recommend cider vinegar for this salad. Next time I'll make sure I have all the ingredients so I can make the recipe as written. Thanks for posting!
I have made this twice and I actually forgot the bacon both times! Regardless of the missing bacon, this has become one of my favorite things to make and eat! I love the sunflower seeds in this. I used fat free mayonnaise and split the raisins by using 1/3 cup regular raisins and 1/3 cup golden raisins. Delicious! Thanks for posting!!!