Recipe by samtank
Wonderful, rich lightly sweetened bread from my mother.
Top Review by Olga O.
I made this bread may 2014 and the bread turned out fantastic. I made some slight changes to make it healthier. I did not have milk so I used a cup of swarm water and 2 tablespoon of coffee creamer. I added cinnamon and put 1/2 cup of light raisins and 1/2 cup of dark raisins. I used coconut sugar a little bit more than what the recipe calls. This bread turned out light and wonderful when toasted and spread with butter! Cheers!
- 1⁄4 ounce dry yeast (2 1/4 tsps. yeast, or one package)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 cup hot scalded milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup light seedless raisin (soaked in warm water until soft)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (add a little sugar to the water). Combine milk, 1/2 cup butter, and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cool to lukewarm. Stir in eggs, vanilla, salt, and the yeast. Gradually add flour, beating well after each addition. Cover and let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/2 hours. Beat down and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Turn batter onto a floured board and knead with your hands. Drain water from raisins and knead them into the dough. If dough is too thin, add a bit more flour. Divide batter into 2 well-greased 9x5x3-inch pans. Let rise in a warm place until light, about 45 minutes.
- Bake in 350 oven for 25-30 minutes or until a deep golden brown. When done, remove from oven and while still warm, brush with melted butter. Bread should be very light and sweet.