Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a different kind of bread pudding, traditionally made in Gibraltar, and uses all left over bread, but u can also use fresh bread.
- 1 loaf sliced bread, with crusts removed
- 400 g milk
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 8 ounces butter
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1 lb sugar
- vanilla essence
- 250 raisins
- soak the bread, and drain well.
- in a large bowl, mix all ingredients (except the nutmeg) together.
- place in a well greased tin and sprinkle the nutmeg over.
- bake in a moderate oven until you stick a knife in and it comes out clean, about 1/2 an hour.
- eaten as a desert, cold or warm.
I used some leftover challah (Nadav's Delicious Challah) and dug into my hoarded stash of Bird's Custard powder, and wow, this was a great breakfast treat! I've made bread pudding before, but never thought to use the custard powder, it's a wonderful addition, thanks!