1/1 Photo of Sweet Bread (Barbados)
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from week 23 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Barbados is my 23rd stop. I served this as a dessert, but Bajans usually have it as a snack with a cup of hot tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease two loaf pans with shortening and set your oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Mix the dry ingredients with the raisins in a large bowl.
- 3Add the egg, milk, butter and almond essence. Mix until you have a firm dough.
- 4Divide the dough in half and press down into the loaf pans.
- 5Mix the sugar and hot water and, using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each loaf.
- 6Bake for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, then remove from pans.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Bread (Barbados)
Serving Size: 1 (1564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2888.5
- Calories from Fat 1243
- Total Fat 138.2 g
- Saturated Fat 100.1 g
- Cholesterol 260.6 mg
- Sodium 2368.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 378.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.8 g
- Sugars 139.2 g
- Protein 49.7 g