Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from week 23 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Barbados is my 23rd stop. I served this as a dessert, but Bajans usually have it as a snack with a cup of hot tea.
- Grease two loaf pans with shortening and set your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the raisins in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, butter and almond essence. Mix until you have a firm dough.
- Divide the dough in half and press down into the loaf pans.
- Mix the sugar and hot water and, using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each loaf.
- Bake for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, then remove from pans.
Most delicious bread I have ever tasted. It is heavy and I ate a slice with extra shape cracker Barrel cheese. Thanks.