Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from week 23 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Barbados is my 23rd stop. I served this as a dessert, but Bajans usually have it as a snack with a cup of hot tea.
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Grease two loaf pans with shortening and set your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the raisins in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, butter and almond essence. Mix until you have a firm dough.
- Divide the dough in half and press down into the loaf pans.
- Mix the sugar and hot water and, using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each loaf.
- Bake for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, then remove from pans.
Most delicious bread I have ever tasted. It is heavy and I ate a slice with extra shape cracker Barrel cheese. Thanks.