Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This bread is dense and has a great colour, good with stews, meat dishes or with tea or coffee. I got this recipe from a portuguese cookbook. and love making it. Enjoy.
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, plus
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package active dry yeast or 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 4 teaspoons butter
- In measuring cup, dissolve 1 tsp. sugar in lukewarm water
- sprinkle in yeast and let stand for 10 minutes, or until frothy.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, salt and remaining 3/4 cup sugar for 2 minutes, or until foamy.
- Stir yeast mixture vigorously with fork and stir into egg mixture.
- Stir in milk and gradually beat in flour.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Return dough to bowl and gradually add butter.
- Continue kneading until all butter is blended into dough.
- Place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all over.
- Cover and let rise in draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; turn out, divide into four portions and form each portion into a ball.
- Knead each ball for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Cover dough and set aside on well-floured board or counter top for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until dough looks slightly puffy and surface is crusty.
- Place dough on well greased baking sheet or 9" round pans and bake in 325F oven for 25 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Turn off heat and leave bread in oven for 10 minutes, or until browned all over.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Place 1 tsp. butter on each loaf and brush to coat top. Blot off excess with paper towels.
- Makes four 9-inch breads.
Mmmm, this bread is very good. Its not overpoweringly sweet, but is great for any time of the day. I like making it and cutting on loaf up and let it get hard overnight. In the AM it makes a wonderful french toast :)
This was the first bread I made with my new Kitchenaid and it couldn't have been a better one to break it in. Thanks!
I made these last night, they are very good. Only thing I found and maybe it was user error