1/2 Photos of Sweet Bread
3 hrs 55 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Anna P.'s Note:
This bread is dense and has a great colour, good with stews, meat dishes or with tea or coffee. I got this recipe from a portuguese cookbook. and love making it. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, plus
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package active dry yeast or 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1In measuring cup, dissolve 1 tsp. sugar in lukewarm water
- 2sprinkle in yeast and let stand for 10 minutes, or until frothy.
- 3In large bowl, beat eggs, salt and remaining 3/4 cup sugar for 2 minutes, or until foamy.
- 4Stir yeast mixture vigorously with fork and stir into egg mixture.
- 5Stir in milk and gradually beat in flour.
- 6Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- 7Return dough to bowl and gradually add butter.
- 8Continue kneading until all butter is blended into dough.
- 9Place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all over.
- 10Cover and let rise in draft-free place for 1 hour.
- 11Punch down dough; turn out, divide into four portions and form each portion into a ball.
- 12Knead each ball for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- 13Cover dough and set aside on well-floured board or counter top for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until dough looks slightly puffy and surface is crusty.
- 14Place dough on well greased baking sheet or 9" round pans and bake in 325F oven for 25 minutes, or until golden on top.
- 15Turn off heat and leave bread in oven for 10 minutes, or until browned all over.
- 16Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- 17Place 1 tsp. butter on each loaf and brush to coat top. Blot off excess with paper towels.
- 18Makes four 9-inch breads.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1962 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1450.6
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 396.8 mg
- Sodium 913.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 233.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 39.7 g
- Protein 38.2 g