Recipe by ALISSA ROCKS
The fresh basil in this easy dish really makes the flavors of the vegetables come out. Adapted from the Wild Rose Herbal Detox Cookbook.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This was very different for us. I made this for my DD and her BF and I think because of the low calorie ingredients, it just didn't go over very well. I believe it was the egg beaters that we disliked. Loved the flavor of the fresh herbs and spinach. We added just a little swiss cheese as did another reviewer. This recipe has a lot of potential for us, but will probably not be as low cal. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 large potato
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) carton Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) or 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice peeled potato into 1/4 slices and form single layer on the bottom of an 8x8" glass pan sprayed with Pam.
- Saute onions over med heat until soft, add diced pepper and continue for 1-2 minutes more. Then gently fold in spinach until wilted.
- Spread onion mixture evenly over potatoes.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs evenly over top of onion mixture.
- Mix Egg Beaters, salt, pepper and milk together and gently pour into baking dish making sure it is evenly distributed. Sprinkle with paprika and hot red pepper flakes if using.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Eggs should be set in middle.
- I divide this into 4 servings with each being about 200 calories and very low in fat. Also works great if you just use Eggbeaters without the milk, just use more of them.
- Can also be served with a salad for a lite lunch or dinner.