Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The fresh basil in this easy dish really makes the flavors of the vegetables come out. Adapted from the Wild Rose Herbal Detox Cookbook.
- 1 large potato
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) carton Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) or 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice peeled potato into 1/4 slices and form single layer on the bottom of an 8x8" glass pan sprayed with Pam.
- Saute onions over med heat until soft, add diced pepper and continue for 1-2 minutes more. Then gently fold in spinach until wilted.
- Spread onion mixture evenly over potatoes.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs evenly over top of onion mixture.
- Mix Egg Beaters, salt, pepper and milk together and gently pour into baking dish making sure it is evenly distributed. Sprinkle with paprika and hot red pepper flakes if using.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Eggs should be set in middle.
- I divide this into 4 servings with each being about 200 calories and very low in fat. Also works great if you just use Eggbeaters without the milk, just use more of them.
- Can also be served with a salad for a lite lunch or dinner.
This was very different for us. I made this for my DD and her BF and I think because of the low calorie ingredients, it just didn't go over very well. I believe it was the egg beaters that we disliked. Loved the flavor of the fresh herbs and spinach. We added just a little swiss cheese as did another reviewer. This recipe has a lot of potential for us, but will probably not be as low cal. Thanks for sharing.
This is wonderful! It's a keeper that I can use very happily and in good health. The flavors pop with freshness and the colors of the red pepper and spinach make it festive. The pepper flakes add a nice zing without being "hot". I used a couple TBS of skim milk. Yummm.
This was fantastic! I just finished eating it and can't get over how good it was! I omitted the onions due to personal preference and added some swiss cheese to the egg mixture. Very low fat and low carb (for my diabetic husband) and filling. Thanks for posting this, it will definitely be a regular around my house!