Recipe by CongoGirl
I came up with this recipe as a way to use the fresh beets I get in my CSA box. It tastes just like zucchini bread to me, but it's a pretty pink color because of the beets.
Top Review by MoChile
I have never liked beets. They taste like dirt to me. I tried this recipe to see if I could find a way to make beets taste good. The bread came out a beautiful pink color and was very moist. When I ate the bread plain, I could taste the beets a little. If I put a spread on the bread, I couldn't taste the beets at all. I might try boiling the beets first next time to see if that reduces some of the earthy flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raw beet, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup other fruit juice
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 or 8 x 4 x 2) and set it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (except the nuts).
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the beet, oil, orange juice, and applesauce.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and mix until they are just combined.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.