Recipe by Moody
A sauce to be made with stuff you'd usually have on hand. Its my mom's recipe, with one ammendment: onions. They add a sweeter taste to the sauce. If you want it even sweeter, add a red pepper.
Top Review by Dave's Rose
This sauce is excellent! Don't let the short ingredient list fool you, the flavor is all there. It was not difficult to make. The only changes I made to the recipe were that I used pre-minced garlic instead of fresh, and I used meatballs in addition to the meat in the sauce. A happy 'side effect' of this was that my husband, who is heartburn prone, did not experience any after eating this. This recipe will get handed down to my kids.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb extra lean beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in bottom of Dutch oven.
- Cook garlic, onions,& green peppers for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add beef,& brown, not stirring too much, because you want chunks of beef.
- Turn a few cranks of freshly ground pepper over beef as you cook.
- When beef is browned, add tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock, mushrooms, basil, salt& 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Just as sauce begins to bubble, add the bay leaves, then simmer 1& 1/2 hours.