Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is similar to the French pastry Napoleon. The recipe comes from a Moosewood cookbook.
Make and share this Sweet Bastela recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 phyllo pastry sheets
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the milk and sugar to scalding.
- Whirl the eggs in a blender while slowly pouring in the hot milk.
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon.
- If the custard doesn't thicken enough to coat a spoon, return it to the pan and reheat it gently, stirring constantly until it thickens. If it should curdle slightly while thickening, blend it again.
- Refrigerate the custard.
- Using a 7-8 inch plate as a guide, cut 2 circles from each sheet of filo.
- On buttered baking pans, stack the filo sheets, four sheets to a stack, brushing every second sheet with melted butter.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes until the filo is golden brown.
- Assemble the bastela. Begin with one pair of filo circles. Spread all of the jam over this bottom layer of filo and sprinkle on a few chopped almonds.
- Add another pair of filo circles, some almonds, and some of the egg custard.
- Continue to layer the filo, almonds, and custard until all of the ingredients are used.
- End with a pair of filo circles.
- Sprinkle the pastry with confectioners' sugar, cut it into 6 wedges and serve immediately.