Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This chicken is absolutely delicious, it can also be made on the grill or in the oven broiler, just remember to keep basting with sauce while cooking. For the sauce, you can saute 1 onion and 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic in a couple tablespoon butter for about 3-4 minutes before adding in the other ingredients if desired.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (or to taste, this is very HOT!)
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted
- 5 lbs chicken pieces (preferably with skin off)
- salt and pepper
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a saucepan; cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the grill or oven broiler.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place on grill or a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Cook 15 minutes on each side (or until cooked).
- Brush chicken with sauce, and cook an additional 15 minutes, or until chicken is done, turning and basting occasionally.
I cooked chicken on the grill and this sauce made it extra special! We loved the flavor of the sauce and it was finger licking good!
Very Very Good! My Fam loves it!! I have made this 3x now and it just keeps getting better. I do exclude the red pepper flakes because I have a 6 and 4 yr old who can not stand the heat at their age. I use chicken thighs (bnlss, skinlss) Thank you Kittencal!
I really enjoyed this sauce, and the next time I make it, I will add the onion and garlic. I baked chicken tenders in the oven at a low temperature and used Cattlemen's bbq sauce and dark brown sugar to make the glaze. DH said the recipe was 4.5 stars, but with my 5 stars, I'd give this a 5.