Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I invented this one morning when I was just dying to combine these ingredients... worked very well, I must say. It's best if you give it 1/2 hour or so in the freezer so it gets more like ice cream than a thick drink.
- 2 medium bananas, frozen
- 1 cup cold vanilla-flavored soymilk or 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1 tablespoon carob powder, sifted
- 4 soft dates (I used Parnoosh dates)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract, to taste
- If dates have been refrigerated, warm them a bit in the microwave, to make softer and easier to blend.
- Slice the frozen bananas, this helps out your blender :-).
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and blend till very smooth (you'll have visible flecks of date skin but who cares).
- Pour into 2 mugs and let them sit in the freezer for 20-60 minutes.
- Enjoy your freezy treat!
This is just incredible--if there's ever a health food hall of fame--this should be in it!! The texture, the flavor, and the amount of sweetness in this shake are all perfect! The only changes I made were to use regular nonfat milk, and 3 dates instead of 2 (for 1 serving)--because our dates were really small. And I "forgot" to put the finished shake into the freezer (one sip led to another sip--rather than to the freezer--lol!). I look forward to enjoying this again, and making it for my family members who also love carob! Thanks so much for sharing a great recipe, White Rose Child!!
Wonderful shake! My DD's loved this desert shake and I loved how healthy it was for them!! Of course I also thought it was delicious and will be making it again soon. Thanks for another wonderful recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2008.
This is soooooo good! I made as written a couple nights ago and the dates were pretty chunky, about the size of chocolate chips! So I tried a half-batch this morning and did the Almond Milk and dates first. Not quite as chunky. Maybe I should be more patient with my blender? But who can wait to drink something so yummy?! Thank you for the great treat! This will become a regular around here! Reviewed for My-3-Chefs.