Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "Little Meals" by Rozanne Gold. I like weird sounding combinations and this is one of them. It is like a baked apple but takes only 30 minutes to bake. Sometimes we forget that a tomato is a fruit! Chilling time is not included in the preparation time.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice tops off tomatoes and remove insides, leaving shells intact.
- Turn shells upside down and drain on paper towels.
- Mix together rest of ingredients except apple juice.
- Stuff tomatoes with this mixture.
- Put tomatoes in a deep baking dish and pour the apple juice in bottom.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes with slotted spoon and chill.
- Reduce apple juice on top of stove until it becomes syrupy, then chill.
- Spoon sauce over tomatoes when serving.