Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Posted by request.
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, top cut off and seeded
- 2 small apples, peeled,cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (or cranberries)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Mix apples, raisins, walnuts, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice together in a bowl.
- Stuff the hollowed out pumpkin with the apple mixture and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until the apples and pumpkin are soft.
- Serve hot from the pumpkin over ice cream.
I love making this dessert when I want to impress people. It is so easy, but the presentation is stunning. I get more requests for this recipe when I take it to potlucks than anything else. Because I am usually cooking for a crowd when I make something for a potluck, I triple the recipe and use a jack-o-lantern pumpkin instead of a sugar pumpkin. If you do this, you just have to cook it longer and be prepared that the pumpkin part won't taste as good, but the people eating it usually don't even know that they should eat the pumpkin so they just scoop out the filling anyway. i do use dried cranberries instead of raisins and pecans instead of walnuts, and I make up my own spice mixture instead of using pumpkin pie spice. I also add a 1/3 of a stick of butter, sliced up, to the mixture before filling the pumpkin.