Recipe by Babushka
Maple Syrup and Pumpkin? It's divine, AND totally vegan. I concocted this when making a birthday cake for a party including some friends who are vegan. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
I can't give a star rating because I made substantial changes to the original recipe, but I can tell you that the adaptation was really enjoyed. Ours turned out very moist, almost like a steamed pudding rather than a cake, but quite delicious none the less. I'm listing the changes I made in case anyone else has dietary restrictions and wonders if this recipe can be successfully altered. I substituted soft spelt flour, and because I used a whole grain I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and extra 2 1/2 Tablespoons of liquid, I used extra light olive oil, and for the sweetener I used 1/2 cup regular Splenda and 1/4 cup Brown Sugar Splenda blend. Next time I would eliminate the glaze. My cake took 35 minutes to bake. Served with whipped cream, this made a fine dessert.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄8 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk or 2 tablespoons soymilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together dry ingredients for cake in bowl and set aside.
- Mix together oil, 1/2 cup maple syrup, and 1 cup sugar until well mixed.
- Add pumpkin and dry ingredients a little at a time, alternating each, but beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Add maple flavoring while mixing.
- Pour batter into greased 8x8 or 9x11 pan. Make note that times given are for 8x8 so watch your cake closely.
- Bake at 375F for 25 minutes.
- For glaze, mix together all three ingredients until well mixed. If you have some powdered sugar lumps, pass the glaze through a small strainer.
- When 25 miutes is up for cake, drizzle glaze over top while it is still in the oven. Cook for five more mintes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Cool on rack.