Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Apples, pears and cranberries are what bring the special autumn flavor to this delectable pie. Serve with ice cream for the ultimate finale to your special meal.
Top Review by momaphet
This is a fabulous pie! The flavor combination is wonderful, perfect with Syrah, champagne and tea (not at the same time)! I increased the cranberries almost 1/4 cup and decreased the sugar by 1/4 cup and increased the cinnamon just a little. The pie was a little tart, but for us it was perfect served with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped creamed. The two challanges I ran into - first I had to wait almost two weeks from when I bought my pears to when they ripe enough to use - they were still not as ripe as you would want if eating them out of hand. So planning ahead is necessary. Second - I increased my crust recipe by 1/4, this wasn't near enough to do the leaf cut outs without having to reroll part of the pastry, which due to time limits I had to do, resulting in part of my crust being tougher then the rest. Next time I would either skip the all over leaf cut out crust and just add a couple to decorate a regular top crust or increase my crust recipe by at least half. Thanks Jackie for a lovely new pie recipe which I will definetly make again. Made for PRMRT.
- 1 prepared double crust pie crust
- 1 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bartlett pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place jellyroll pan on lower oven rack.
- Fit bottom crust into 9" pie pan.
- Flute; refrigerate.
- Roll out top crush to 1/4" thickness.
- Using a leaf-shaped cutter, cut out pastry leaves.
- Mix apples, pears, cranberries, 1-1/4 cups sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon; spoon into crust.
- Brush crust edges with egg.
- Arrange leaf cutouts over filling, overlapping slightly.
- Brush with egg; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Place pan on hot baking sheet in oven.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden.
- Cool on rack.