Recipe by PrincessPage
This is a little tart, and so very good. Prep time does not include any resting or cooling time for the filling or pie.
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, i use Baking Spice Mix
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 15 ounces tart cherries, pitted packed in water
- 16 ounces sweet cherries, I used frozen
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract, or
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pie double crust pie crust
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, for topping the crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Ready pie shell and let it relax while making filling.
- strain can of tart cherries, reserving liquid.
- mix all cherries together, set aside
- NOTE: it would not accept baking spice in the ingredient list, so I put pumpkin pie spice as it is the closest. The baking spice I use is 326104. Otherwise, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp each cloves, nutmeg, ginger, 1/4 tsp each cardamon and allspice - to the best of your pantry's ability.
- in a large saucepan cook over medium heat the reserved liquid, cornstarch, salt, spices and sugar. Cook until thick and bubbly. Stirring constantly.
- Stir in berries, until mixed. Add the almond or vanilla extract.
- Cool to room temperature. (this help keep pie crust from getting soggy while baking).
- Pour into pie shell. Either top with a lattice top (prettiest) or cover with remaining pastry dough remembering to vent in several spots.
- Brush with heavy cream (or milk) and sprinkle with sugar and a small pinch of salt.
- Rest pie in refrigerater for 1 hour. 20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 425 with a baking stone set on the lowest rack possible.
- Cook pie for 1 hour, or until all over is bubbly. You may need to tent a piece of foil over the pie to keep the shell from burning, just make sure to have steam vents.