This is a little tart, and so very good. Prep time does not include any resting or cooling time for the filling or pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, i use Baking Spice Mix
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 15 ounces tart cherries, pitted packed in water
- 16 ounces sweet cherries, I used frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, or
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pie double crust pie crust
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, for topping the crust
- 1Ready pie shell and let it relax while making filling.
- 2strain can of tart cherries, reserving liquid.
- 3mix all cherries together, set aside
- 4NOTE: it would not accept baking spice in the ingredient list, so I put pumpkin pie spice as it is the closest. The baking spice I use is 326104. Otherwise, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp each cloves, nutmeg, ginger, 1/4 tsp each cardamon and allspice - to the best of your pantry's ability.
- 5in a large saucepan cook over medium heat the reserved liquid, cornstarch, salt, spices and sugar. Cook until thick and bubbly. Stirring constantly.
- 6Stir in berries, until mixed. Add the almond or vanilla extract.
- 7Cool to room temperature. (this help keep pie crust from getting soggy while baking).
- 8Pour into pie shell. Either top with a lattice top (prettiest) or cover with remaining pastry dough remembering to vent in several spots.
- 9Brush with heavy cream (or milk) and sprinkle with sugar and a small pinch of salt.
- 10Rest pie in refrigerater for 1 hour. 20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 425 with a baking stone set on the lowest rack possible.
- 11Cook pie for 1 hour, or until all over is bubbly. You may need to tent a piece of foil over the pie to keep the shell from burning, just make sure to have steam vents.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Tart Cherry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.2
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 169.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 1.0 g