Recipe by Whisper
This recipe has a wonderful mixture of flavors going on. It's easy to make and tastes even better if made a day ahead and reheated. It comes from the Lean and Luscious and Meatless cookbook.
Top Review by Chef-Boy-I-Be Illinois
Very good recipe for butter beans and an excellent alternative to canned pork and beans. These would be great for a BBQ! I wasn't sure about the ingredient list calling for two 1 lb cans of beans. That would be a lot for the amount of the other ingredients. I used a 12 ounce bag of frozen beans and cooked those before adding to the sauce.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 (1 lb) cans butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 1-1/2 qt baking dish with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, red pepper, and garlic.
- Cook until onions are tender and start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining ingredients, dissolving cornstarch in the 2 Tbsp of water before adding.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.