Prep 45 mins
Cook 7 mins
Adapted by All-Clad "The Slow Cooker Ready and Waiting Cookbook" by Rick Rodgers. Notes from the recipe "These are the ultimate beans to bring to a picnic or barbecue. Be sure to use par-cooked beans, they won't cook through if they are just soaked." Prep time does not include overnight soaking.
- 2 lbs dried great northern beans, sorted for stones rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons large onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) cans cola
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup molasses
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place beans in large bowl and add enough water to cover by 2 inches; let stand for at least 8 hours or overnight (refrigerate in hot weather). Drain well.
- Transfer to large pot and add enough fresh water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans are half-cooked, about 30 minutes. Drain and transfer to the crock pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beans, stir in cola, ketchup, and molasses. Cover and cook on high until beans are completely tender, 6 to 7 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let stand 20 minutes before serving.