Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
"Many chili recipes contain brown or white sugar. In this recipe, more nutritious barley malt adds a smoky, beerlike sweetness that contrasts deliciously with the spices and green chiles." - Recipe from "Delicious Living" magazine, February 2004.
- 9.85 ml canola oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 127.57 g can diced green chilies
- 4.92 ml salt (optional)
- 177.44 ml vegetable broth
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 411.06 g can kidney beans, undrained
- 411.06 g can black beans, undrained
- 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 4.92 ml hot sauce
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 29.58 ml barley malt
- 7.39 ml unsweetened cocoa
- black pepper, to taste
- cubed avocado, for garnish
- grated monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, green chilies, and salt, if desired.
- Stir until veggies are evenly coated.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes and beans (with their liquids), and frozen corn.
- Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes, or until chili reaches desired consistency.
- Serve hot with desired garnishes.
Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian, but I omitted it and it still tasted great. I'm sure there is anchovy-free Worcestershire sauce available somewhere. I added 4oz of tomato sauce and meatless crumbles. This chili is really good. Thank you!
This Chili was delicious!!! I couldn't find Barley Malt either so I substituted molasses. It was still very, very good. I also have chldren so did not put in the hot sauce. My husband, who loves spicey, still loved it and thought it was very good even without it. This is one of the few recipes that tastes best just like it is...I made it again changing it a little in other ways and did not like it as well.
Definitely a keeper! Thank you :)
Great vegetarian chili recipe! I added crumbles and used corn syrup instead of the barley malt. I used rotel instead of the green chilis, reduced the Worchestchire sauce to half a TBS and added a tsp more of chili powder and some salt. Wonderful results! Thanks for sharing this recipe