Recipe by Lt. Amy
Popular with all the vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters in my life. A great balance of flavors.
Top Review by ellie_
This is different from our usual chili, and I think small children may like it as it isn't very spicy even though it uses a lot of chili powder -- it does have a sweetness to it (maybe from the apple juice) that young children may enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups apple juice
- 4 ounces diced hot green chili peppers, drained
- 30 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetarian veggie crumbles
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, apple juice, chiles, and beans.
- Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir in the burger crumbles, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.