Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Aah! The gardens bounty at it's end! Green tomatoes from cherries to plum to whatever you grew. Some red mostly green. This is a nice way to save and savory those garden goodies.
- 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 4 -5 lbs green tomatoes or 4 -5 lbs tomatoes or 4 -5 lbs cherry tomatoes, left whole just poke a couple holes into them, large do slice into 1/8
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled
- 6 -8 chili peppers
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 4 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- In a large bowl, combine onion, and tomatoes.
- Pack mixture into 3 (1-quart) or 6 (1-pint) canning jars. Place a garlic clove and a chili or two in each jar, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, salt, vinegar, turmeric, celery seed, mustard seeds.and peppercorn. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour mixture over produce, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top of each jar.
- Wipe rims of excess; screw on lids.
- Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Using canning tongs, gently place jars in boiling water, making sure the water covers the jars (if not, add additional water to cover).
- Let jars sit in gently simmering water for 10 minutes.
- Remove; let cool slightly.
- Check seal by pressing in center of lid. If it doesn't pop back, it is properly sealed. If it does, return jars to water for 10 more minutes.
- Let sealed jars cool completely.
- Let pickled tomatoes stand until flavors have melded, at least 2 weeks. Store unopened jars in a cool, dark place up to 6 months. Once opened, jars will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Too much sugar and turmeric. Separation occurred after canning, does not look great at all.
Probably won't get this in time...I am making this Saturday 10/23/10 - just wondering i fthe vinegar is White vinegar or apple cider... think i will opt for White vinegar
This is a wonderful recipe for canning tomato's. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon and it sounds delicious.