Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a variation of the fabulous Sweet Salsa Dump Chicken - OAMC. My boys like their food a bit on the tame side. Makes 4 bags. Tip: I remove the skin from all the chicken at once. I wear disposable plastic gloves and grab the skin with a paper towel. It is much easier to pull off and the gloves keep your hands from freezing.
- 6 lbs skinless chicken legs, excess fat removed (I use 4 legs per bag)
- 24 ounces apricot jam (I use 2 jars)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) packets taco seasoning mix
- For immediate cooking: Reduce recipe to 4 servings. Pre-heat oven to 350°F Place all ingredients into a large baking dish, turn chicken to coat.
- Bake until chicken juices run clear (45-60 minutes for chicken pieces, or 20-30 minutes for chicken breasts).
- For freezing: Place 1/4 ingredients into each 1 Gallon freezer bag.
- Lay flat in freezer.
- To thaw and cook: Take a bag out of the freezer the night before, make sure the baggie is completely closed.
- Place the Bag on a refrigerator shelf to thaw.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Empty the contents of the bag into a large baking dish and bake until the juices run clear (45-60 minutes for chicken pieces, or 20-30 minutes for chicken breasts).
Hubby and I did not enjoy this at all. I marinated the chicken all day in the sauce and the chicken was tasteless. I also browned the chicken first so it would look more appetizing. Will not make this again.
Fantastic recipe! Thanks for the idea of changing the salsa for tinned tomatoes - it makes it much more child-friendly. I cooked the dish immediately and used pork chops instead of chicken (I didn't even brown them first) and they turned out just great. Looking forward to trying it in the crockpot with chicken - many thanks!