1/1 Photo of Sweet and Spicy Tomato and Pepper Chicken Stew
An inexpensive, delicious and quick meal to throw together. From my local paper. I made two changes, the original recipe called for two medium onions and 2 cans of navy beans, but I only use one of each because it is plenty. Start the rice once you get the pot of everything but the beans simmering.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- hot cooked rice
- 1In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- 2Add chicken pieces and stir. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, or until chicken is browned on all sides.
- 3Add bell pepper, onions and garlic and cook 6-7minutes or until veggies are softened.
- 4Add chili powder, garam masala, nutmeg, ginger, salt and brown sugar. Cook and stir another 2 minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes, broth, raisins and vinegar; stir. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- 6Add beans and cook 3 minutes until heated through.
- 7Serve over rice and garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Spicy Tomato and Pepper Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.6
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 619.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 30.5 g