Recipe by lolablitz
An inexpensive, delicious and quick meal to throw together. From my local paper. I made two changes, the original recipe called for two medium onions and 2 cans of navy beans, but I only use one of each because it is plenty. Start the rice once you get the pot of everything but the beans simmering.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add chicken pieces and stir. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, or until chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add bell pepper, onions and garlic and cook 6-7minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Add chili powder, garam masala, nutmeg, ginger, salt and brown sugar. Cook and stir another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, raisins and vinegar; stir. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Add beans and cook 3 minutes until heated through.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley.