Recipe by DisasterInTheKitchen
This is a recipe I came up with after going to Veggie Heaven for the first time here in Austin. I say that because I've been here for 4 years already, and not being a vegetarian it just didn't occur to me to go. I was so amazed, I went back again the same week. Well, this tofu recipe doesn't add up to what they have there, but I was definitely inspired. I think it's delicious and I hope you do too! Preparation time includes time to drain tofu.
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra firm tofu, preferably organic
- mixed vegetables (it's up to you, I suggest sugar snap peas, carrots, zucchini or squash, or broccoli)
- 1⁄4 medium onion, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- sriracha Asian chili sauce (highly suggested) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- rice or rice noodles, to serve with
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare tofu - drain all water out and cut into 1" cubes.
- Make sauce with water, soy sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar and peanut butter. Stir well and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium/medium high and add vegetable oil and sesame oil.
- Toss in chopped onions and saute until almost golden brown. Add other veggies if you wanted to have other veggies in your recipe.
- Add tofu and stir occasionally until brown on some sides.
- Add sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with rice, noodles or eat by itself. Enjoy!