Recipe by Sharlene~W
Love the little afterburn in the back of my throat from the cayenne. If hot and spicy is not for you, it is still excellent with less cayenne. You could also cut the sugar in half with good results. From Down Home with The Neelys.
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 1 small head red cabbage
- 4 carrots
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the cores. Peel the carrots and onion, and slice them into pieces that will fit through the feed tube of a food processor. Fit the food processor with the large-holed grater attachment and push the cabbage, carrots, andonion through the feed tube to grate.
- In a large bowl, toss the grated cabbage, carrots, and onions to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and cayenne (whisk until the sugar is dissolved). Toss the dressing with the coleslaw, and season with salt and additional pepper to taste.
- Cover the slaw with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.