Recipe by nclpalacios
This recipe came from "The Vegan Table" by Colleen Parick-Goudreau pg. 45. For a little variety, top with a drizzle of Cashew Sour Cream.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (18 ounce) canorganic pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups nondairy milk (soy, rice, almond, hazelnut, hemp, or oat)
- salt, to taste
- parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water in a soup pot, then add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, and cayenne, and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable stock, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and lemon juice.
- Simmer on low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in milk.
- Remove from heat, and puree soup in a blender or food processor or with a handheld immersion blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pan and heat over medium heat until hot-not boiling- about 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and garnish with parsley, if desired.