Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
It is like candy pumpkin seeds.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (from 1 medium pumpkin)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Remove and wash seeds from pumpkin.
- Spread seed on cookie sheet bake for 1 hour stirring occasionally, about one hour.
- Combine in bowl 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne.
- Heat peanut oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Cook until sugar melts and seeds caramelize (about 45 seconds).
- Transfer to bowl with spices and coat well.
- Let cool.
- Store for up to 1 week in airtight container.
These are very good! I love the combination of sweet and spicy. Yummy and different.
These are delicious (though not exactly healthy!). We'd carved 2 large and 1 small pumpkin, resulting in just over 3 cups of seeds. As a result, I tripled the sugar and spices--NOT necessary! Instead, I think I could have just doubled it. However, since I had the excess already mixed, I used that to carmelize the seeds with the (canola, in my case) oil (instead of adding the extra tablespoons of sugar. It worked well! Can't wait to bring them to my husband at work as a quick pick-me-up!
I substituted more cinnamon & ginger for the cumin and used canola oil. These are yummy!