Chef TanyaW's Note:
This soup with African origins is a keeper. It's delicious and very rich in vegetables and nutrients! It comes from Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave, with small modifications. I love it and it makes great leftovers. With the vegetable stock (instead of chicken), this is a vegan friendly soup. I would like to try a kid-friendly version by decreasing the cayenne pepper and ginger. I would also like to try a less processed version with fresh tomatoes instead of canned, and roasted peanuts, and a little brown sugar instead of peanut butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced (for 2 cups)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 carrots, diced (for about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled (for 2 1/2 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
- 1Saute onion, peppers, and carrots in canola oil, stirring about every minute until veggies soften and begin to brown (about 5 minutes).
- 2Add cayenne, black pepper, garlic, and ginger and continue to cook 1 minute.
- 3Add sweet potato, broth, and tomatoes.
- 4Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- 5Puree soup with an immersion blender ( I leave mine a little chunky). If you don't have an immersion blender, it can be pureed in a regular blender in batches.
- 6Add peanut butter and honey and stir over low heat until the peanut butter is melted and well mixed.
- 7Serve warm.
- 8Garnish with green onion and peanuts (optional).
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Spicy Peanut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.4
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 911.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 14.0 g