Just found this recipe in Good Housekeeping and I had to save it...and share it.
Make and share this Sweet and Spicy Nuts recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 325°f.
- Grease two 15 1/2" x 10 1/2" jelly-roll pans.
- In small bowl, stir sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and red pepper.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg white until foamy.
- Stir nuts into egg white.
- Add sugar mixture; toss until nuts are thoroughly coated.
- Divide nut mixture between prepared jelly-roll pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake nuts 25-27 minutes or until golden brown and dry, stirring twice during baking.
- With slotted spoon, transfer nuts to waxed paper; spread in single layer to cool.
- Store nuts in tightly covered container at rool temperature up to 1 month.
I used 2 cans of planters mixed nuts which was about 6 cups give or take a nut. I wish I had used a bit more seasoning. I would have preferred more spice. I had some a few years back at christmas as a gift from a patient and was hoping for more bite. Next time. Other wise very good and extremely easy!
I made these delicious nuts as a snack for our Thanksgiving guests. I used cashews and halved the recipe, as it makes quite a lot. Rather than using half an egg white, I went ahead and used a whole one, then just shook the nuts in a colander to drain the excess before tossing them with the sugar mixture. I used jumbo cashews that were already lightly salted, so I reduced the amount of salt. Everyone really enjoyed them--thanks for posting!