Recipe by Chef Donkey
This is one I made from various recipes found here. It took a few variations to get it right and my amount on the spices may be a bit off as I don't actually measure anything when I cook but it can be adjusted to taste. Mild would be with 1 Jalapeno, medium, 2-3 Jalapenos and for most people 4-5 would be considered very hot. It also varies on size of Jalapenos.
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce, plain
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetarian broth or 4 cups stock
- 1 large onion (minced)
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 yellow pepper (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 3 jalapeno peppers (minced)
- 3 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 bunch green onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- If you want to start this before going to work mince up onion, peppers, green onions night before and have ready.
- Grill onions in pan with the minced garlic and the Canola Oil (or oil of choice). If you're not Vegetarian, you can also add ground turkey or ground beef if you want to make this a normal chile.
- Toss into the crock pot along with all other ingredients with the exception of the tomato paste. Only use 3/4 of the can. They don't make smaller than 6 oz cans and if use all of it it makes it a bit heavy. Set on low and simmer all day. You can add more seasoning as you see fit to tailor to tastes. Serve with Tostito Lime Chips and top with cheese if you're not vegan. Very healthy, low fat and super easy to make. Enjoy!