Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is adapted from "Cooking with Fire and Smoke", a great BBQ cookbook. This packs a bit of a punch--sneaks up on you--and is SO tasty.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 -4 lbs pork ribs
- vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients except ribs and oil in a medium saucepan.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Place ribs in shallow glass or ceramic dish and pour sauce of the ribs, reserving about a third for basting.
- Let stand covered in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat grill.
- If using charcoal, bank the coals at one end and place a drip pan at the other end.
- Brush the gril lightly with oil.
- Place ribs on the grill over the drip pan and cover cook with vents half open and baste often.
- Cook until tender, about 1 1/2 hours (charcoal users will have to add more preheated coals after about 45 minutes).
- When ribs are tender, move them to direct heat and grill until crisp.
- *Youcan also par cook these in the oven--I baked them at 300 degrees for an hour and a half before my husband grilled them crisp and that worked out well.