These are more sweet than spicy and there are a few surprise ingredients that really make these little beef bites quite delicious! My husband is a "dipper" and created the tomato-based sauce that perfectly complements these non-traditional empanadas. The recipe makes 24 bite-sized appetizers, or you can make them twice as big and eat them for dinner. :)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄3 cup white onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) box puff pastry sheets, frozen
Tomato Dipping Sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (Trader Joe's is really good!)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (Sriracha)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garam masala, spice blend
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- For the sauce:
- Combine all ingredients and whisk till smooth.
- For the empanadas:.
- Take the pastry sheets out of the freezer 40 minutes before your empanadas will be ready to be filled.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and dice them fairly small. Cover them with water and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or till tender.
- Meanwhile, mince the onion and place in a large bowl with the beef, all the sugar and spices, and the milk. Knead with your hands until the mixture is very soft.
- Cook the meat mixture in a skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned.
- Drain the potatoes and mix them in with the meat. Drain any excess fat. (The potatoes should soak most of it up).
- Cut the pastry into 24 equal rectangles and divide the mixture between them.
- Divide the cream cheese into 24 portions as well and squish it on top of the meat so it evenly covers.
- Fold the pastry over and seal the edges by folding or pinching.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until puffy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, place on serving plate, and dip in the sauce if you desire!