Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
An easy-to-make crock pot chicken dish that is sweet and spicy at the same time. Adjusting the cayenne will adjust the heat in this dish (I always add more).
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides.
- While chicken is browning, make sauce by combining garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, and cayenne in a mixing bowl.
- Remove browned chicken from skillet and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken into crock pot and cover with sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-8 hours or until chicken is done, depending on your crock pot.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and turn crock pot to High.
- Mix corn starch and water thoroughly together, then add to crock pot liquid.
- Place cover on crock pot so that the lid is slightly ajar.
- Cook until sauce thickens, about 20-30 minutes.
- Return chicken to crock pot to coat, then serve either alone or over a bed of rice and topped with sauce.
Mark, is it terrible to stand over the crockpot sopping up the last dregs of sauce with a piece of French Bread? If so, I am beyond reform. I do think the 8-hour cooking time may be a little long for some crockpots -- mine was done when I checked it after 4 hours. I love the heat, but I used half cayenne pepper and half Chinese Five Spice to cut down on the heat factor for the more timid tastebuds in our family. Thanks for sharing!
My husband and I thought this was a great tasting dish! The only problem was that the chicken was really overcooked after 6 hours of cooking. It was done before we were quite ready for it. I would recommend cooking it for 4 hours instead of 8. Also, I will add more spice to it next time. (We love anything hot and spicy!!) I will definitely make this one again.