Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this on an old recipe card, and tried this, and it is very good.
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 3⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup spicy barbecue sauce
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Spray a 5 quart slow cooker with vegetable oil, and arrange chicken pieces in bottom of cooker.
- Combine chili sauce, brown sugar, dry onion soup mix, cayenne pepper, barbecue sauce, peanut oil, and 1/4 cup of water in a large bowl, and spoon over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
I have made this twice now, and will be making it again very soon. The onion soup mix was perfect seasoning, but I did cut down the brown sugar to 1/2 cup. Best part was that supper was ready when we got home on a busy night. Just had to toss a quick salad and serve. Loved it!
We really enjoyed this recipe ~so easy and so tasty! I didn't use my crock pot because I forgot to get the chicken out last night and used chicken tenders because that was all I had. Browned the tenders in a small amount of oil and then covered them with the sauce and simmered them for about 30 minutes and served with rice and green beans. DH thought the sauce would be good over a pork loin and then made into BBQ sandwiches. Made for the winner of 1~2~3 Hits It's Not Easy Being Green ~ March 2010.
What a tasty 5 star easy chicken recipe. After reading thru the reviews I made one change to the sauce and reduced the brown sugar to a 1/2 cup. I used chicken breasts; I'm not big on dark chicken meat. I cooked mine totally different. I put 1/2 the sauce on & baked them @ 350. After dumping off the accumulated fat, I put the rest of the sauce on & broiled it until it was carmelized. I love cooking in the crock pot & this recipe would be delicious cooked that way; time did not allow me to crock pot it this time.