Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Carmelized onions, barbecue sauce and 2 cheeses between toasty bread slices. Adapted from Ring Finger Tan Line's blog.
- 8 slice ciabatta, italian or 8 slice challah
- 4 slice cheddar cheese
- 4 slice monterey jack pepper cheese or 4 slice other spicy cheese
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 44.37 ml softened butter, divided
- 29.58-59.16 ml barbecue sauce
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced red onion and stir occasionally until color changes to slightly brown and taste is sweet, about 10-15 minutes. Remove onions from skillet and set aside.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Divide barbecue sauce evenly among 4 of the slices and spread evenly opposite the butter side. Lay cheddar cheese on top of sauce. Divide caramelized onion among the sandwiches, then top with pepper jack. Finish assembly by placing remaining bread slices on top. The butter sides of the bread should both be on the outside of the sandwiches.
- Place 2 sandwiches in the skillet and cook sandwiches two at a time, flipping when bread is golden brown on one side and cheese begins to melt. If cheese is not melting quickly enough, place a lid over the pan or use a heavy skillet to place on top and press the sandwiches down.
I love grilled cheese sandwiches and this one is the bomb. Really enjoyed the caramelized onion and bbq sauce in this sandwich, so much flavor, it is the perfect pairing. It was so quick and easy to make, the perfect comfort food, it satisfys everyone in the family. Thanks so much for sharing yet another tasty treat gailanng.