Recipe by Nolita_Food
From Bon Appetit. It accompanied mussels in seafood broth, but I tried it with mussels and clams in white wine. Turned out pretty good.
- 8 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, 1 thinly sliced,3 chopped
- 3⁄4 cup diced plum tomato, seeded
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (like sambal oelek)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 6 tbsp red wine vinegar and sugar to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Boil without stirring until mixture is deep red, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with wet brush (6 minutes).
- Add thinly sliced garlic and cook until garlic is light brown, about 30 seconds.
- Mis in tomatoes, basil, chili paste, pine nuts and remaining 2 tbsp of vinegar, simmer for 1 minute.