Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
These are a delicious blend of sweet and spicy. Use the greater amount of molasses if you like a thicker sweeter taste like I do :). I wrote down this recipe from a magazine ( I can't remember which one), and tweaked it just a little.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb dried navy beans, soaked overnight or quick soaked and drained
- 1 cup diced onion (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄3-2⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced jalapenos (about 1)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, added after cooking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon in dutch oven until crisp. Drain all but 1 T. of fat.
- Add onions and cook until lightly browned.
- Add tomato paste, cook 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, and 4 cups of the water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 3 hours.
- Stir in the remaining 1 C water and bake 1 more hour until tender but not falling apart.
- Stir in salt.