Recipe by Cherri Olin
Vegetarian Meatballs -- They really taste like the real thing!! We have fooled many people with this.
Top Review by Wendy's Kitchen
This was an amazing recipe. The flavour improved by the day. I made the balls with a rich tomato/garlic sauce and it was raved about. I did make some changes as my family does not eat cheese. So I subbed a can of brown lentils and only used finely ground oats to replace the cracker crumb and I also used walnuts as that is what was on hand. The mixture was quite wet but after leaving in the fridge for a little while it firmed up to form the balls. Everyone wanted the recipe. Thank you so much for posting it is a reall winner for vegetarians.
- 4 beaten eggs (you can use egg replacers)
- 2 cups grated colby cheese (you can use imitation cheese) or 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (you can use imitation cheese)
- 3⁄4 cup pecan meal (if you cannot find pecan meal, you can just grind up pecans in your food processor until they are in)
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes or 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages George Washington broth (golden or dark)
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients in one at a time until well mixed.
- Form into balls with greased hands.
- Fry vegetable oil or bake until golden brown lightly on all sides.
- Place all of the meatballs in a pan or skillet and pour in 2 cups of water and 2 packages of George Washington Broth.
- Simmer until water almost disappears.
- (At this point you can use them as regular meat balls make the sauce below) Mix together your sweet and sour sauce.
- Place the meatballs in a baking dish or in a crockpot.
- Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or turn on high in the crockpot and leave until all is warm.